Schools from across London have been recognised for their work to promote active and safer travel, as part of the STARS schools programme.
Celebrating its tenth anniversary in 2017, STARS (Sustainable Travel: Active, Responsible, Safe) is TfL’s flagship school travel accreditation scheme for primary and secondary schools.
STARS is designed to help and encourage young people – and the whole school community – to adopt safer and sustainable ways of travelling to school, such as cycling, walking and use of public transport.
Schools are judged on the number of initiatives they deliver, and their success in changing travel behaviour, and then awarded Bronze, Silver and Gold accreditation levels.
At the annual STARS event on 5 December, awards were presented for the best primary and secondary school in North, South, East and West London. The awards were presented by Shirley Rodrigues (deputy mayor of London) and Will Norman (London’s walking and cycling commissioner).
The 2017 winners are:
- St Johns CofE Junior Mixed and Infant School (North London – Barnet)
- Whitefield School (North London – Barnet)
- La Sallette Catholic Primary School (East London – Havering)
- Beal High School (East London – Redbridge)
- East Sheen Primary School (South London – Richmond)
- Corelli College (South London – Greenwich)
- Clifton Primary School (West London – Ealing)
- Brentside High School (West London – Ealing)
Awards were also presented to schools that have ‘demonstrated innovative and outstanding achievements’ in one of seven travel areas: cycling, partnerships, pupil-led projects, road safety, scooting, public transport and walking.
The winners are:
- Cycling: Woodside Children’s Centre (Haringey), Barnes Primary School (Richmond) and Warren Road Primary School (Bromley)
- Partnerships: St Anne’s Catholic Primary School (Lambeth) and St Cyprian’s Greek Orthodox Primary Academy (Croydon)
- Pupil-led projects: London Islamic School for Boys (Tower Hamlets), Hampton Prep and pre-prep School (Richmond) and Chestnut Grove School (Wandsworth)
- Road safety: Stillness Infant School (Lewisham), Highshore Secondary School (Southwark), Alexander MacLeod Primary School (Greenwich) and Gladesmore Community School (Haringey)
- Scooting: Ashburnham Community School (Kensington & Chelsea), St Bede’s Catholic Nursery and Infant School (Lambeth) and Saint Mary Magdalene Church of England Primary School (Greenwich)
- Public transport: Coopers Lane Primary (Lewisham) and Wren Academy (Barnet)
- Walking: Raglan Primary School (Bromley) and St Mary CE Primary School (Brent)
The following four schools were also named as ‘Long serving School Travel Plan champions’, recognising ‘dedication to engrain an active and safer travel ethos within their school and the wider community’.
- Oakleigh School and Acorn Assessment Centre (Barnet)
- Beaconsfield Primary School (Ealing)
- Cardinal Road Infant and Nursery School (Hounslow)
- William Morris Primary School (Merton)
07 December 2017