Road safety contacts
Gemma Hearsum | Active Travel Officer | 020 8496 6861 | Gemma.Hearsum@walthamforest.gov.uk
Road Safety and Behaviour Change Team
Our team is committed to improving road safety for all road users; our aims include actively working towards Vision Zero, reducing collisions in our borough and educating young people on Road Safety.
The team works with key partners including TfL, the Met Police, the London Fire Brigade, Public Health, Schools, Local Businesses and Road Safety teams in other local authorities. Our activities include:
- Offering free cycle training for anyone who lives, works or studies in Waltham Forest, find out more by visiting here.
- Delivering behavior change campaigns to complement the ongoing Enjoy Waltham Forest website, find out more about our Enjoy Waltham Forest programme by visiting the Enjoy Waltham Forest website.
- Working with cyclists to reduce the likelihood of them being involved in a collision
- Arranging road safety performances and education in schools
- Supporting our Youth Travel Ambassadors schemes in Secondary Schools
- Working with local schools to encourage walking and cycling through the TFL STARS programme
- Currently exploring a number of School Streets across the borough
- Facilitating 'Safe Drive Stay Alive' - an annual theatre presentation
- Managing our boroughs School Crossing Patrols
- Working with the Met Police to deliver Community Roadwatch sessions
- Delivering national road safety campaigns and exhibitions including Road Safety Week and the Surround the Town programme
- Working with our Traffic team and Engineers to introduce traffic calming measures and 20mph to reduce speeding